Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Ten Commandments - Lesson 5: The Third Commandment

The Ten Commandments
Lesson 5: The Third Commandments


Exodus 20:7 “You shall not take the name of Yahweh your God in vain, for Yahweh will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.


Luke 6:46 “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and don’t do the things which I say?


The main points for this commandment:

Don't misuse God's name.

We misuse God's name with our mouth when we use it as a cuss word, and also when we make a promise, or even say yes, but do not keep our word.

We misuse God's name with our life when we are called by God's name (a Christian), or we call him Lord, and yet do not live as a Christian should, and we do not obey the one we call Lord.


Instead, we should honor God's name.

With our mouth we honor God's name when we treat God's name with respect, and when we say yes and mean yes (we keep our promises).

With our life we honor God's name when live in obedience to God, whose name we bear and whom we call Lord.


Suggestions:

Open each lesson with prayer for the teacher and the students and this class time.

For stories to illustrate this commandment, I recommend using one or more of the stories from Matthew 25. All three stories show us people who called him Lord. Not everyone who called him Lord was accepted. The obedient were rewarded. The disobedient found that they were calling him Lord in vain. They had taken his name in vain.

Besides these stories, Jesus asks a question very much related to this commandment, “Why do you call me, Lord, Lord, but don't do the things which I say” (Luke 6:46).

Below, I have included a number of scripture portions, along with a few comments. This is more for the Sunday School teachers, than for the children. My goal was to help those teaching better understand from the Scriptures some of the ideas related to this commandment, so that the ideas can then be conveyed in a more appropriate manner for level of understanding of the children.

Close the lesson with prayer related to the subject and the students. Pray the Lord's Prayer together.


Stories:

Matthew 25:1-13,14-30,31-46Note that in these stories, both the good and the wicked call him “Lord” (we do not read of the wise virgin's calling him Lord). While the righteous are received, the wicked (who also call him Lord) are not received. The wise and righteous took the Lord's name along with obedience. The foolish and wicked took the Lord's name without obedience, and so took his name in vain.

Luke 6:46-49 [46] “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and don’t do the things which I say? [47] Everyone who comes to me, and hears my words, and does them, I will show you who he is like. [48] He is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep, and laid a foundation on the rock. When a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it was founded on the rock. [49] But he who hears, and doesn’t do, is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

Matthew 7:20-23 [20] Therefore by their fruits you will know them. [21] Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. [22] Many will tell me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works?’ [23] Then I will tell them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.’
They called Jesus 'Lord.' Yet in that day, he told them that he did not know them, and in fact never knew them. He does not speak ill of the good works they cite as their references. In response to the good works they hoped would bring them eternal treasure, Jesus points to them as workers of iniquity. While they were prophesying, casting out demons and doing mighty works, they were also walking in unrepentant sin. They worked iniquity. They thought they could serve two masters. They thought they could serve Jesus Christ as Lord and their favored sins at the same time. They were wrong. May God deliver us from making the very same error, resulting in the same eternal consequences.

Luke 13:22-30 [22] He went on his way through cities and villages, teaching, and traveling on to Jerusalem. [23] One said to him, “Lord, are they few who are saved?” He said to them, [24] “Strive to enter in by the narrow door, for many, I tell you, will seek to enter in, and will not be able. [25] When once the master of the house has risen up, and has shut the door, and you begin to stand outside, and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ then he will answer and tell you, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ [26] Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.’ [27] He will say, ‘I tell you, I don’t know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of iniquity.’ [28] There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets, in the Kingdom of God, and yourselves being thrown outside. [29] They will come from the east, west, north, and south, and will sit down in the Kingdom of God. [30] Behold, there are some who are last who will be first, and there are some who are first who will be last.”

John 13:1-17 [1] Now before the feast of the Passover, Jesus, knowing that his time had come that he would depart from this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. [2] During supper, the devil having already put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him, [3] Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he came from God, and was going to God, [4] arose from supper, and laid aside his outer garments. He took a towel, and wrapped a towel around his waist. [5] Then he poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him. [6] Then he came to Simon Peter. He said to him, “Lord, do you wash my feet?” [7] Jesus answered him, “You don’t know what I am doing now, but you will understand later.” [8] Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “If I don’t wash you, you have no part with me.” [9] Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!” [10] Jesus said to him, “Someone who has bathed only needs to have his feet washed, but is completely clean. You are clean, but not all of you.” [11] For he knew him who would betray him, therefore he said, “You are not all clean.” [12] So when he had washed their feet, put his outer garment back on, and sat down again, he said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? [13] You call me, ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord.’ You say so correctly, for so I am. [14] If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. [15] For I have given you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. [16] Most certainly I tell you, a servant is not greater than his lord, neither one who is sent greater than he who sent him. [17] If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.

1 Samuel 20:6-17,42 [5] David said to Jonathan, “Behold, tomorrow is the new moon, and I should not fail to dine with the king; but let me go, that I may hide myself in the field to the third day at evening. [6] If your father miss me at all, then say, ‘David earnestly asked leave of me that he might run to Bethlehem his city; for it is the yearly sacrifice there for all the family.’ [7] If he says, ‘It is well;’ your servant shall have peace: but if he be angry, then know that evil is determined by him. [8] Therefore deal kindly with your servant; for you have brought your servant into a covenant of Yahweh with you: but if there is iniquity in me, kill me yourself; for why should you bring me to your father?”
[9] Jonathan said, “Far be it from you; for if I should at all know that evil were determined by my father to come on you, then wouldn’t I tell you that?” 
[10] Then David said to Jonathan, “Who shall tell me if perchance your father answers you roughly?” 
[11] Jonathan said to David, “Come, and let us go out into the field.” They both went out into the field. [12] Jonathan said to David, “By Yahweh, the God of Israel, when I have sounded my father about this time tomorrow, or the third day, behold, if there is good toward David, shall I not then send to you, and disclose it to you? [13] Yahweh do so to Jonathan, and more also, should it please my father to do you evil, if I don’t disclose it to you, and send you away, that you may go in peace: and Yahweh be with you, as he has been with my father. [14] You shall not only while yet I live show me the loving kindness of Yahweh, that I not die; [15] but also you shall not cut off your kindness from my house forever; no, not when Yahweh has cut off the enemies of David everyone from the surface of the earth.” [16] So Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying, “Yahweh will require it at the hand of David’s enemies.” [17] Jonathan caused David to swear again, for the love that he had to him; for he loved him as he loved his own soul.

[42] Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace, because we have both sworn in Yahweh’s name, saying, ‘Yahweh shall be between me and you, and between my seed and your seed, forever.’” He arose and departed; and Jonathan went into the city. 

This is a good example of someone swearing in the name of the Lord, and remaining faithful to what he swore in the Lord's name. In 2 Samuel 9:1-13, we see David carrying out this promise he made to Jonathan (2 Samuel 9:7). Again in 2 Samuel 21:7 we see David remaining faithful to the oath he swore to Jonathan, by sparing his son Mephibosheth.


1 Samuel 24:16-22 [16] It came to pass, when David had made an end of speaking these words to Saul, that Saul said, “Is this your voice, my son David?” Saul lifted up his voice, and wept. [17] He said to David, “You are more righteous than I; for you have done good to me, whereas I have done evil to you. [18] You have declared this day how you have dealt well with me, because when Yahweh had delivered me up into your hand, you didn’t kill me. [19] For if a man finds his enemy, will he let him go away unharmed? Therefore may Yahweh reward you good for that which you have done to me this day. [20] Now, behold, I know that you shall surely be king, and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hand. [21] Swear now therefore to me by Yahweh, that you will not cut off my seed after me, and that you will not destroy my name out of my father’s house.” [22] David swore to Saul. Saul went home; but David and his men went up to the stronghold.


More Stories and Examples:

2 Chronicles 7:13-14 [14] if my people, who are called by my name

Proverbs 30:7-9 [7] “Two things I have asked of you; don’t deny me before I die: [8] Remove far from me falsehood and lies. Give me neither poverty nor riches. Feed me with the food that is needful for me; [9] lest I be full, deny you, and say, ‘Who is Yahweh?’ or lest I be poor, and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

Jeremiah 7:1-15 [1] The word that came to Jeremiah from Yahweh, saying, [2] “Stand in the gate of Yahweh’s house, and proclaim there this word, and say, ‘Hear Yahweh’s word, all you of Judah, who enter in at these gates to worship Yahweh.’” [3] Thus says Yahweh of Armies, the God of Israel, “Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place. [4] Don’t trust in lying words, saying, ‛Yahweh’s temple, Yahweh’s temple, Yahweh’s temple, are these.’ [5] For if you thoroughly amend your ways and your doings; if you thoroughly execute justice between a man and his neighbor; [6] if you don’t oppress the foreigner, the fatherless, and the widow, and don’t shed innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your own hurt: [7] then I will cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers, from of old even forever more. [8] Behold, you trust in lying words, that can’t profit. [9] Will you steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and burn incense to Baal, and walk after other gods that you have not known, [10] and come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ‛We are delivered;’ that you may do all these abominations? [11] Has this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes? Behold, I, even I, have seen it,” says Yahweh. [12] “But go now to my place which was in Shiloh, where I caused my name to dwell at the first, and see what I did to it for the wickedness of my people Israel. [13] Now, because you have done all these works,” says Yahweh, “and I spoke to you, rising up early and speaking, but you didn’t hear; and I called you, but you didn’t answer: [14] therefore will I do to the house which is called by my name, in which you trust, and to the place which I gave to you and to your fathers, as I did to Shiloh. [15] I will cast you out of my sight, as I have cast out all your brothers, even the whole seed of Ephraim.

Matthew 6:9-13 [9] Pray like this: ‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.

1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many as are bondservants under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honor, that the name of God and the doctrine not be blasphemed.


Other Verses:

SWEARING / OATHS / VOWS

Deuteronomy 6:13 You shall fear Yahweh your God; and you shall serve him, and shall swear by his name.

Deuteronomy 10:20 You shall fear Yahweh your God; you shall serve him; and you shall cling to him, and you shall swear by his name.

Psalm 63:11 But the king shall rejoice in God. Everyone who swears by him will praise him, for the mouth of those who speak lies shall be silenced.

Zephaniah 1:4-6 [4] I will stretch out my hand against Judah, and against all the inhabitants of Jerusalem. I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place: the name of the idolatrous and pagan priests, [5] those who worship the army of the sky on the housetops, those who worship and swear by Yahweh and also swear by Malcam, [6] those who have turned back from following Yahweh, and those who haven’t sought Yahweh nor inquired after him.

Ecclesiastes 5:4-6 [4] When you vow a vow to God, don’t defer to pay it; for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay that which you vow. [5] It is better that you should not vow, than that you should vow and not pay. [6] Don’t allow your mouth to lead you into sin. Don’t protest before the messenger that this was a mistake. Why should God be angry at your voice, and destroy the work of your hands?

Matthew 5:33-37 [33] “Again you have heard that it was said to them of old time, ‘You shall not make false vows, but shall perform to the Lord your vows,’ [34] but I tell you, don’t swear at all: neither by heaven, for it is the throne of God; [35] nor by the earth, for it is the footstool of his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. [36] Neither shall you swear by your head, for you can’t make one hair white or black. [37] But let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes’ and your ‘No’ be ‘No.’ Whatever is more than these is of the evil one.
While Jesus was on the earth, the people of God had rewritten God's laws to serve their own evil ways. Some said that if you swore an oath on a certain thing (see Matthew 23:16-22) you didn't need to keep that oath, but if you swore the oath on a certain other thing, then you had to keep the oath you made. It is likely that others said that if you simply told someone yes or no, you were not obligated to keep your word, but if you gave your yes or no with an oath or vow, then you had to keep your word. When the people of God (today, the disciples of Jesus Christ) decide (and so live) that at times they should keep their word, and at other times they do not need to keep their word, by this they are dishonoring the name of God which they bear. This is one reason Jesus tells us that our yes should mean yes and our no should mean no. We should not need to make an official vow for someone to be able to know that we be true to our word.

James 5:12 But above all things, my brothers, don’t swear, neither by heaven, nor by the earth, nor by any other oath; but let your “yes” be “yes”, and your “no”, “no”; so that you don’t fall into hypocrisy.

Colossians 3:9 Don’t lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old man with his doings,

Ephesians 4:25 Therefore putting away falsehood, speak truth each one with his neighbor. For we are members of one another.

In the Old Testament, God commanded his people to swear by his name. When they made a promise, they were to use God's name to show that the promise was good. “I promise you by God's name that I will do this or that.” God's people were to take God's name. However, if they made a promise using God's name that they did not intend to keep, or a thoughtless promise using God's name that they would forget they made, then they were taking God's name in vain. God promises to punish those who take his name in vain. It was also wrong to swear by God's name and also to swear by the name of another god or idol.

In the New Testament, Jesus tells us not to swear by anything at all, but to mean yes when we say yes, and to mean no when we say no. Now we do not use God's name with our mouth when we say yes or no. Instead, a Christian has taken God's name on his very self. When a Christian says yes or no, he is still saying yes or no with the name of Christ upon him. When a Christian does not tell the truth, he is taking God's name in vain.


WE ARE CALLED BY HIS NAME

2 Chronicles 7:13-14 [13] “If I shut up the sky so that there is no rain, or if I command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; [14] if my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name:

Proverbs 30:7-9 [7] “Two things I have asked of you; don’t deny me before I die: [8] Remove far from me falsehood and lies. Give me neither poverty nor riches. Feed me with the food that is needful for me; [9] lest I be full, deny you, and say, ‘Who is Yahweh?’ or lest I be poor, and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many as are bondservants under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honor, that the name of God and the doctrine not be blasphemed.

Romans 2:23-24 [23] You who glory in the law, through your disobedience of the law do you dishonor God? [24] For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” just as it is written. (also: Ezekiel 36:22)

In both the Old Testament and the New Testament, God's people are called by his name. Just as a child has the name of their family, a Christian has the name of God. God's people are people who are called by his name.

Just as a child's behavior can bring honor or shame to his parents and his family name, so the behavior of a child of God brings honor or shame to God's name.


WE CALL HIM OUR LORD / WE SPEAK IN HIS NAME

Psalm 50:14-15 [14] Offer to God the sacrifice of thanksgiving. Pay your vows to the Most High. [15] Call on me in the day of trouble. I will deliver you, and you will honor me.”

Luke 6:46-49 [46] “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and don’t do the things which I say?

Matthew 25:1-13,14-30,31-46Note that in these stories, both the good and the wicked call him “Lord” (we do not read of the wise virgin's calling him Lord). While the righteous are received, the wicked (who also call him Lord) are not received. The wise and righteous took the Lord's name along with obedience. The foolish and wicked took the Lord's name without obedience, and so took his name in vain.

Acts 19:13-17 [13] But some of the itinerant Jews, exorcists, took on themselves to invoke over those who had the evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, “We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preaches.” [14] There were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, who did this. [15] The evil spirit answered, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know, but who are you?” [16] The man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overpowered them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. [17] This became known to all, both Jews and Greeks, who lived at Ephesus. Fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

Mark 9:38-40 [38] John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone who doesn’t follow us casting out demons in your name; and we forbade him, because he doesn’t follow us.” [39] But Jesus said, “Don’t forbid him, for there is no one who will do a mighty work in my name, and be able quickly to speak evil of me. [40] For whoever is not against us is on our side. (Luke 9:49-50)

Deuteronomy 18:20 But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.”

A Christian calls Jesus “Lord.” It is good to call Jesus Lord, and to call to Jesus as our Lord. We pray to the Lord, and call to the Lord for help. On the Judgment Day, when we stand before Jesus, we will call him Lord.

While it is good to call Jesus “Lord,” and it is good to call to the Lord for help, Jesus tells us it is not good to call him “Lord,” while we do not obey him. Jesus told several stories about those who called on the Lord. Some obeyed him in their life, and some did not. Those who called him “Lord” but did not obey him discovered that they were calling him Lord in vain. They were taking God's name in vain.


WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

Matthew 6:9-13 [9] Pray like this: ‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. [10] Let your Kingdom come. Let your will be done, as in heaven, so on earth. [11] Give us today our daily bread. [12] Forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors. [13] Bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For yours is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.’

Matthew 5:16 Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Jesus taught us to pray. One thing we should pray for is that God's name would be kept holy. We can pray that we would live so that God's name will be glorified. Then, with God's help, we should do what is right and good so that those who see and know us will glorify our Father in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment