Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Bible - Resources

The Bible – Resources


What is the Bible?”
GotQuestions?org.

Questions About the Bible.”
GotQuestions?org
Contains list of topics under this general heading, with links to articles.

Gideon Bible introduction
In many Bibles printed by the Gideons (http://www.gideons.org), the following statement about the Bible can be found. I also found this text at the following links.
The Bible contains the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword and the Christian’s charter. Here too, Heaven is opened and the gates of Hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever. It involves the highest responsibility, rewards the greatest labor, and will condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.


Survey Course of the Bible: 1. Introduction to the Bible”
This is a simple presentation providing a basic introduction to the Bible.

Word of God in the Bible.” Nave's Topical Bible Concordance Online.




VERSES

Deuteronomy 11:18-23 [18] Therefore you shall lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul. You shall bind them for a sign on your hand, and they shall be for frontlets between your eyes. [19] You shall teach them your children, talking of them, when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise up. [20] You shall write them on the door posts of your house, and on your gates; [21] that your days may be multiplied, and the days of your children, in the land which Yahweh swore to your fathers to give them, as the days of the heavens above the earth. [22] For if you shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love Yahweh your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cling to him; [23] then will Yahweh drive out all these nations from before you, and you shall dispossess nations greater and mightier than yourselves.

Deuteronomy 17:18-20 [18] It shall be, when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write himself a copy of this law in a book, out of that which is before the priests the Levites. [19] It shall be with him, and he shall read from it all the days of his life; that he may learn to fear Yahweh his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them; [20] that his heart not be lifted up above his brothers, and that he not turn aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left; to the end that he may prolong his days in his kingdom, he and his children, in the midst of Israel.

Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success.

1 Samuel 15:22-26 [22] Samuel said, “Has Yahweh as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of Yahweh? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams. [23] For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as idolatry and teraphim. Because you have rejected Yahweh’s word, he has also rejected you from being king.” [24] Saul said to Samuel, “I have sinned; for I have transgressed the commandment of Yahweh, and your words, because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice. [25] Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship Yahweh.” [26] Samuel said to Saul, “I will not return with you; for you have rejected Yahweh’s word, and Yahweh has rejected you from being king over Israel.”

Psalm 1:1-3 [1] Blessed is the man who doesn’t walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand on the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers; [2] but his delight is in Yahweh’s law. On his law he meditates day and night. [3] He will be like a tree planted by the streams of water, that produces its fruit in its season, whose leaf also does not wither. Whatever he does shall prosper.

Psalm 19:7-11 [7] Yahweh’s law is perfect, restoring the soul. Yahweh’s testimony is sure, making wise the simple. [8] Yahweh’s precepts are right, rejoicing the heart. Yahweh’s commandment is pure, enlightening the eyes. [9] The fear of Yahweh is clean, enduring forever. Yahweh’s ordinances are true, and righteous altogether. [10] More to be desired are they than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the extract of the honeycomb. [11] Moreover by them is your servant warned. In keeping them there is great reward.

Psalm 119:9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word.

Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Psalm 119:97-104 [97] How I love your law! It is my meditation all day. [98] Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for your commandments are always with me. [99] I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. [100] I understand more than the aged, because I have kept your precepts. [101] I have kept my feet from every evil way, that I might observe your word. [102] I have not turned aside from your ordinances, for you have taught me. [103] How sweet are your promises to my taste, more than honey to my mouth! [104] Through your precepts, I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light for my path.

Proverbs 30:5-6 [5] “Every word of God is flawless. He is a shield to those who take refuge in him. [6] Don’t you add to his words, lest he reprove you, and you be found a liar.

Isaiah 5:24 Therefore as the tongue of fire devours the stubble, and as the dry grass sinks down in the flame, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust; because they have rejected the law of Yahweh of Armies, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.

Isaiah 55:10-11 [10] For as the rain comes down and the snow from the sky, and doesn’t return there, but waters the earth, and makes it grow and bud, and gives seed to the sower and bread to the eater; [11] so shall my word be that goes out of my mouth: it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing I sent it to do.

Jeremiah 6:19-20 [19] Hear, earth! Behold, I will bring evil on this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not listened to my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it. [20] To what purpose comes there to me frankincense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country? your burnt offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices pleasing to me.”

Jeremiah 8:4-10 [4] “Moreover you shall tell them, ‘Thus says Yahweh: “‘Shall men fall, and not rise up again? Shall one turn away, and not return? [5] Why then have the people of Jerusalem fallen back by a perpetual backsliding? They cling to deceit, they refuse to return. [6] I listened and heard, but they didn’t say what is right. No one repents of his wickedness, saying, “What have I done?” Everyone turns to his course, as a horse that rushes headlong in the battle. [7] Yes, the stork in the sky knows her appointed times; and the turtledove, the swallow, and the crane observe the time of their coming; but my people don’t know Yahweh’s law. [8] How do you say, “We are wise, and Yahweh’s law is with us?” But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has worked falsely. [9] The wise men are disappointed. They are dismayed and trapped. Behold, they have rejected Yahweh’s word. What kind of wisdom is in them? [10] Therefore will I give their wives to others, and their fields to those who shall possess them: for everyone from the least even to the greatest is given to covetousness; from the prophet even to the priest every one deals falsely.

Amos 8:11-12 [11] Behold, the days come,” says the Lord Yahweh, “that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing Yahweh’s words. [12] They will wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east; they will run back and forth to seek Yahweh’s word, and will not find it.

Matthew 4:1-4 [1] Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. [2] When he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was hungry afterward. [3] The tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” [4] But he answered, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’”

Matthew 7:24-27 [24] “Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock. [25] The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn’t fall, for it was founded on the rock. [26] Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn’t do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand. [27] The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

Luke 6:46-49 [46] “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and don’t do the things which I say? [47] Everyone who comes to me, and hears my words, and does them, I will show you who he is like. [48] He is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep, and laid a foundation on the rock. When a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it was founded on the rock. [49] But he who hears, and doesn’t do, is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

Luke 11:27-28 [27] It came to pass, as he said these things, a certain woman out of the multitude lifted up her voice, and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which nursed you!” [28] But he said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and keep it.”

John 5:37-40 [37] The Father himself, who sent me, has testified about me. You have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his form. [38] You don’t have his word living in you; because you don’t believe him whom he sent. [39] “You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and these are they which testify about me. [40] Yet you will not come to me, that you may have life.

John 8:31-32 [31] Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. [32] You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

John 12:47-50 [47] If anyone listens to my sayings, and doesn’t believe, I don’t judge him. For I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. [48] He who rejects me, and doesn’t receive my sayings, has one who judges him. The word that I spoke, the same will judge him in the last day. [49] For I spoke not from myself, but the Father who sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. [50] I know that his commandment is eternal life. The things therefore which I speak, even as the Father has said to me, so I speak.”

John 17:17 Sanctify them in your truth. Your word is truth.

John 20:30-31 [30] Therefore Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book; [31] but these are written, that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name.

Romans 2:13 For it isn’t the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be justified

Romans 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that through patience and through encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

1 Corinthians 10:1-12 [1] Now I would not have you ignorant, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; [2] and were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea; [3] and all ate the same spiritual food; [4] and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ. [5] However with most of them, God was not well pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness. [6] Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. [7] Neither be idolaters, as some of them were. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” [8] Neither let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them committed, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell. [9] Neither let us test the Lord, as some of them tested, and perished by the serpents. [10] Neither grumble, as some of them also grumbled, and perished by the destroyer. [11] Now all these things happened to them by way of example, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come. [12] Therefore let him who thinks he stands be careful that he doesn’t fall.

Ephesians 6:17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; in all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your heart to the Lord.

2 Timothy 2:15 Give diligence to present yourself approved by God, a workman who doesn’t need to be ashamed, properly handling the Word of Truth.
2 Timothy 2:15 [KJV] Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 3:14-17 [14] But you remain in the things which you have learned and have been assured of, knowing from whom you have learned them. [15] From infancy, you have known the holy Scriptures which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith, which is in Christ Jesus. [16] Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness, [17] that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Hebrews 4:12-13 [12] For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart. [13] There is no creature that is hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him to whom we must give an account.

James 1:22-25 [21] Therefore, putting away all filthiness and overflowing of wickedness, receive with humility the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. [22] But be doers of the word, and not only hearers, deluding your own selves. [23] For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man looking at his natural face in a mirror; [24] for he sees himself, and goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. [25] But he who looks into the perfect law of freedom, and continues, not being a hearer who forgets, but a doer of the work, this man will be blessed in what he does.

1 Peter 1:10-12 [10] Concerning this salvation, the prophets sought and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, [11] searching for who or what kind of time the Spirit of Christ, which was in them, pointed to, when he predicted the sufferings of Christ, and the glories that would follow them. [12] To them it was revealed, that not to themselves, but to you, they ministered these things, which now have been announced to you through those who preached the Good News to you by the Holy Spirit sent out from heaven; which things angels desire to look into.

1 Peter 2:2 as newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the Word, that with it you may grow,

2 Peter 1:16-21 [16] For we did not follow cunningly devised fables, when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. [17] For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, “This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” [18] We heard this voice come out of heaven when we were with him on the holy mountain. [19] We have the more sure word of prophecy; and you do well that you heed it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns, and the morning star arises in your hearts: [20] knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of private interpretation. [21] For no prophecy ever came by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke, being moved by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 3:1-2 [1] This is now, beloved, the second letter that I have written to you; and in both of them I stir up your sincere mind by reminding you; [2] that you should remember the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and the commandments of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior:

2 Peter 3:15-18 [15] Regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also, according to the wisdom given to him, wrote to you; [16] as also in all of his letters, speaking in them of these things. In those, there are some things that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unsettled twist, as they also do to the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. [17] You therefore, beloved, knowing these things beforehand, beware, lest being carried away with the error of the wicked, you fall from your own steadfastness.



STORIES

Exodus 4:10-16 [10] Moses said to Yahweh, “O Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before now, nor since you have spoken to your servant; for I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.” [11] Yahweh said to him, “Who made man’s mouth? Or who makes one mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Isn’t it I, Yahweh? [12] Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth, and teach you what you shall speak.” [13] He said, “Oh, Lord, please send someone else.” [14] Yahweh’s anger was kindled against Moses, and he said, “What about Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Also, behold, he comes out to meet you. When he sees you, he will be glad in his heart. [15] You shall speak to him, and put the words in his mouth. I will be with your mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what you shall do. [16] He will be your spokesman to the people; and it will happen, that he will be to you a mouth, and you will be to him as God.

2 Kings 22
Josiah finds book of law in temple

Jeremiah 1:4-10 [4] Now Yahweh’s word came to me, saying, [5] “Before I formed you in the belly, I knew you. Before you came out of the womb, I sanctified you. I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” [6] Then I said, “Ah, Lord Yahweh! Behold, I don’t know how to speak; for I am a child.” [7] But Yahweh said to me, “Don’t say, ‘I am a child;’ for to whoever I shall send you, you shall go, and whatever I shall command you, you shall speak. [8] Don’t be afraid because of them; for I am with you to deliver you,” says Yahweh. [9] Then Yahweh stretched out his hand, and touched my mouth; and Yahweh said to me, “Behold, I have put my words in your mouth. [10] Behold, I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down and to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.”

Jeremiah 36:1-32
King cuts up scroll, Jeremiah writes it again

Ezekiel 2:8-10 [8] But you, son of man, hear what I tell you; don’t be rebellious like that rebellious house: open your mouth, and eat that which I give you. [9] When I looked, behold, a hand was stretched out to me; and, behold, a scroll of a book was therein; [10] He spread it before me: and it was written within and without; and there were written therein lamentations, and mourning, and woe.
Ezekiel 3:1-4 [1] He said to me, Son of man, eat that which you find. Eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel. [2] So I opened my mouth, and he caused me to eat the scroll. [3] He said to me, Son of man, cause your belly to eat, and fill your bowels with this scroll that I give you. Then I ate it; and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. [4] He said to me, Son of man, go to the house of Israel, and speak my words to them.

Matthew 4:1-11 [1] Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. [2] When he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was hungry afterward. [3] The tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” [4] But he answered, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’” [5] Then the devil took him into the holy city. He set him on the pinnacle of the temple, [6] and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, ‘He will put his angels in charge of you.’ and, ‘On their hands they will bear you up, so that you don’t dash your foot against a stone.’” [7] Jesus said to him, “Again, it is written, ‘You shall not test the Lord, your God.’” [8] Again, the devil took him to an exceedingly high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world, and their glory. [9] He said to him, “I will give you all of these things, if you will fall down and worship me.” [10] Then Jesus said to him, “Get behind me, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and you shall serve him only.’” [11] Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and served him.

Matthew 13:18-23; Mark 4:14-20; Luke 8:11-15
The sower sows the word

Acts 8:26-40 [26] But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, “Arise, and go toward the south to the way that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza. This is a desert.” [27] He arose and went; and behold, there was a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch of great authority under Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was over all her treasure, who had come to Jerusalem to worship. [28] He was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah. [29] The Spirit said to Philip, “Go near, and join yourself to this chariot.” [30] Philip ran to him, and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” [31] He said, “How can I, unless someone explains it to me?” He begged Philip to come up and sit with him. [32] Now the passage of the Scripture which he was reading was this, “He was led as a sheep to the slaughter. As a lamb before his shearer is silent, so he doesn’t open his mouth. [33] In his humiliation, his judgment was taken away. Who will declare His generation? For his life is taken from the earth.” [34] The eunuch answered Philip, “Who is the prophet talking about? About himself, or about someone else?” [35] Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture, preached to him Jesus. [36] As they went on the way, they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “Behold, here is water. What is keeping me from being baptized?” [37] [] [38] He commanded the chariot to stand still, and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. [39] When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, and the eunuch didn’t see him any more, for he went on his way rejoicing. [40] But Philip was found at Azotus. Passing through, he preached the Good News to all the cities, until he came to Caesarea.

Acts 17:10-12 [10] The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Beroea. When they arrived, they went into the Jewish synagogue. [11] Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. [12] Many of them therefore believed; also of the prominent Greek women, and not a few men.


No comments:

Post a Comment